top of page

Below are a list of common questions with their answers. We hope you find this information helpful.

If your question is not answered, please send us an email to and we will respond to you as soon as possible.

Who is Ama Training Group
Ama Training is a small boutique Private Training Establishment (PTE) that specialises in Kaupapa maori.  We are located in West Auckland at the Unitech Building – 7 Ratanui Rd, Henderson. Class sizes are small and you will benefit from one on one tuition and extra learning support from our International tutors.

How many hours per week will I be expected to be at college?
Students enrolled on full-time courses will be required to be in class according to the delivery scheduled timetable. Students will also need to complete an extra 10-15 hours of self-directed study/homework each week.

Do I need insurance?
Yes, international students need to have suitable and current medical and travel insurance while in New Zealand for the full length of their course of study. 

Medical and travel insurance must cover:

  • The student’s travel –

    • to and from New Zealand

    • students must be insured for travel to and from their country of origin or citizenship before their educational instruction begins and after it ends (which may be outside of the enrolment period) within New Zealand; and

    • if the travel is part of the educational instruction, outside New Zealand; and

  • medical care in New Zealand, including diagnosis, prescription, surgery, and hospitalisation; and

  • repatriation or expatriation of the student as a result of serious illness or injury, including cover of travel costs incurred by family members assisting repatriation or expatriation; and

    • death of the student, including cover of –

    • travel costs of family members to and from New Zealand; and

    • costs of repatriation or expatriation of the body; and

    • funeral expenses.

What is the cost of living in New Zealand?
Living costs will depend on your lifestyle and which part of the country you live in.   In addition to course fees, Auckland’s estimated living costs is between $20,000-$27,000 each year to cover accommodation, food, transport, phone, internet and other entertainment cost. Other expenses could include insurance, bank fees, utility bills, clothing, holidays and textbooks. It is a good idea to come to New Zealand with plenty of money saved to allow you to make the most out of your time here.

Cost of Living In New Zealand Education website

Do I need to find my own accommodation?
Yes. Ama Training Group can recommend some temporary accommodation options, such as hotels or hostels, but students are responsible for planning their own housing arrangements. There are a variety of choices available. You can live with a local family, in a student hostel or rent an apartment/house with other students.  


More information can be found on the NauMai NZ ‘Housing‘ page.

What are the tuition fees?
Tuition fees range from approximately NZD $8,400 to $28,500. 

Do I need to speak fluent English?
All Ama Training Group courses are taught in English, so students are required to have a certain level of competency in the language. We use the IELTS requirements to test proficiency:


  • Level 3 courses: minimum of IELTS 5.0 (General or Academic) overall band, with no band score lower than 5.0

  • Level 4 courses: minimum of IELTS 5.5 (General or Academic) overall band, with no band score lower than 5.0

If you do not have an IELTS Certificate, you will need to provide other evidence of your English language proficiency. You can see other acceptable tests NZQA acceptable English proficiency tests (this is the link to go to The Table » NZQA)  Other exceptions may also apply for native English speakers, please email for more details.
You may also choose to study English in New Zealand and then pathway to a course at Ama Training Group. 

Working while you study (international students)
As an international student at Ama Training Group you may be able to work Part-time (up to 20 hours a week) while you are studying. Check your visa – it will show if and when you are allowed to work while you are studying in New Zealand.
If you work when you’re not allowed to, you’ll be in breach of your visa condition and may have to leave New Zealand.

Check out Immigration NZ Website


You can find out more about working while you study on the NauMai NZ website.

If you are eligible to work in New Zealand, Ama Training Group will help you apply for an Inland Revenue (tax) number which is compulsory for every working person in NZ.

bottom of page